Friday, November 13, 2009

Applesauce

Picked our very own Fuji apples, from our very own (tho mysteriously dying) tree...


...Used this handy-dandy ( plastic, $5 clearance, probably Made in China) apple peeler...

...sliced and added sugar....

.... cooked with a little water until soft....

...mushed to get rid of big pieces (for kids, we like it chunky)...


...and poured into pint jars.

7 Pints of Sauce go into the canner for 20 minutes (tho with tops on, that would get messy). It's yummy and qualifies as my 11th Pantry Replacement item for the year.....yippee yahoo :)


Plus, we had enough apples to also make a cobbler...more yum!


ps. I actually made this last month, just never got around to posting about it.

11 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Ohh I adore homemade applesauce and can I come over for cobbler...please?

Maureen said...

Absolutely Kim....bring the kids!!!!

Jeano said...

Makes me hungry!

Betty said...

mom wants some applesauce.

love, julie

ps: she wouldn't be upset if you brought some of the cobbler too.

myrtle groggins said...

crap. i finally remembered my name and password, just in time to see that you made the cobbler last month!

sorry, i guess i didn't quite read your post very well the first time through.

could you still bring us some applesauce?

please?

Maureen said...

...tee hee:)

I'll bring some over tomorrow. And we'll look for apples at the Farmers Market to make more cobbler.

If Mom will eat it, I will make it.

Anonymous said...

Strangest comment ever....What incredible cooking gear you have ! Just stunning stuff.

Chiot's Run said...

I'm making sauce with a mix of apples from the orchard. I love love love golden delicious applesauce. I think next year I'm going to try to find the perfect mix of apples.

Maureen said...

Not the strangest comment Kris....trust me (and thanks, what a nice thing to say - bro and SIL gave me the beautiful cast iron dutch oven:)

And Susy, when you find the 'perfect sauce'....please post the recipe, mine is sort of 'whatever I have on hand' applesauce - well, there is the tree...but it's not going to be around much longer....sigh.

Julie said...

Looks delicious! I'm trying to catch up on all your pantry replacement posts. :)

MommaofMany said...

We love homemade applesauce and make it often. I don't take the time to peel and core applesauce. I wash the apples well, then quarter. A little water goes into the pot and I cook it 20 minutes or so, till they are soft. Then I blend with my immersion blender and strain easily through a strainer. I blogged about it here: http://feedingthecrew.blogspot.com/2009/10/applesauce-tutorial.html Enjoy that tree while it still produces!