Friday, August 7, 2009

And More Tomatoes


We had 50 lbs. of tomatoes sitting on the counter yesterday. Since it was a gorgeous (and highly unusual) 82degrees outside, I figured it was the perfect day to slave over a hot stove.
(hey, it could've been 105, we take what we can get)


Removed skin of tomatoes by dropping in boiling water for a minute...


...then into an ice bath.


The fruit slips right out of the skins (and kind of reminds me of the times when we were kids and used to skin grapes to make them feel like eyeballs....it's a long story)


I cooked the tomatoes for a couple hours....

....added sauteed onion, garlic, and green pepper....


... pureed the mixture in the food processor....


....and because I didn't want seeds in the sauce, put it thru a food mill.


Cooked the sauce some more....

...made a mess in the kitchen....


Ta da! .....12 quarts of organic tomato sauce.



And since I had a few tomatoes left over and my son bought a bag of tortilla chips, I made salsa.
Which we also love on green beans (fresh picked from the garden).


ps. I also made 2 gallons of
ice cream.....wasn't I industrious?
...and tired :)

5 comments:

Mike said...

So when you opening up your country market? You guys would fit right in back here. We were just at a country market today the Mennonite run. Very nice tomatoes along with corn, apples, peaches and whatever else you want. VERY nice.

Julie said...

Do you ship across country?! Looks delicious. :)

mamaraby said...

The pictures are gorgeous!! We just got our first tomatoes (two fairly small ones) off the vine yesterday. So tasty...can't wait until I find myself in your shoes.

Maureen said...

Mike - We want to BE Mennonites!

Julie - 50lbs. of tomatoes you'd think I'd have made plenty to ship off to friends...as it was we made enuf sauce to last us maybe 2 months this winter...sigh.

Pampered Mom - it's pretty exciting for us too, last year I believe I got 5 tomatoes....all summer...total!

Jeano said...

Your salsa is awesome!! I wish I could do all that you do. I'm constantly amazed at all you do with your produce! You are my hero!