Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pantry Replacement.....Bread!


It wasn't really on my list of stuff to replace but I have stopped buying sandwich bread.  After some tweaking of the recipe to get it soft enuf for the kids to make sandwiches, I think we've got a keeper here (talk to me when it's 110 outside in July....not sure I'm gonna want the oven on at that point, but we'll see)

The original recipe was on the wonderful blog Beauty that Moves but mine is as follows...

2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup + 1 T  oil (I use canola)
1 3/4 teas. sea salt
5-6 cups flour (I use half white bread flour and half whole wheat)

Dissolve yeast and honey in warm water, let sit for about 10 minutes.  Add rest of ingredients till dough forms and pulls from side of bowl.  Set on floured board and knead for 5 minutes, adding flour as needed.  I like my dough just a tiny bit sticky but that's really a personal preference.

Roll into ball and place in oiled bowl, cover and set in warm spot (usually I put it in the oven...if it's cold out I will turn the oven on for a minute or 2 to heat up just a bit).  It takes about an hour to double in size.  Punch down and knead for another minute or so.  Divide in half and place in greased bread pans.   Cover and let rise for a half hour or so.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Cool on wire rack covered with towel.

This is a great sandwich bread and wonderful with soup right out of the oven, but I will continue my search for an artisan bread that matches Panera's yummy pugliese (how is that pronounced anyway?).


8 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I always make extra bread this time of year and in the winter when it's cold and then I don't have to have the oven on in the summer. You could also make these in buns which bake in about half the time of loaves.

Jeano said...

I'm gonna try it! I make a "swiss bread" 6 loaves at a time, but it's not good for sandwiches. Your recipe looks great!

Tesa said...

OHHH Meg you're amazing HEHE :P I only use a bread machine lol!!!! I'm lucky I can do that :P

Mandy said...

I have been thinking of learning how to make bread so thanks for sharing .. also, what kind of bread pans do you use and where did you get them??

Maureen said...

I just use my standard bread pans, the same ones I make banana and zucchini bread in. Both are metal and have the non-stick coating (which I'm certain is carcinogenic, but I'm not buying new ones at this point).

I've had them so long that I'm not sure where I got them, but there is a neat kitchen store at the outlet mall so I guess that's where I'd go to replace them.

Nancy Winningham said...

Somehow I just don't see you getting up at 5am to make bread before the day warms up. Just sayin.

Maureen said...

More like 9am Nancy....but it's done by lunch!

Mandy said...

hey, just wanted to let know I came by this post agian to get the recipe .. will (most likely) try this today!!