Sunday, March 22, 2009

More Grapefruit


Steve's aunt, who doesn't eat grapefruit, gave us access to her 2 trees this week.  We never turn down free fruit, much to my kids chagrin (they like the eating part, not so much the picking and juicing part)  And yes, that is a bucket of oranges in there also.  We're going back for more of those and the rest of the grapefruit later in the week...there's still gobs left on the trees!


Our wonderful neighbor Joyce showed me the canned grapefruit slices she buys at the market (cha-ching) so I decided to give those a try.  I've never even seen them in the store so I was pleasantly surprised to find a recipe in the Ball Canning book.  


Cut off peelings, slice, discard seeds (or most of them :) fill jars, add light syrup, process for 10 minutes and ...ta da!

 
We now have 12 quarts and 7 pints of grapefruit on our pantry shelf.
(also ate one and gave one to Joyce)
Not sure if they are as good as the 'professional' version, 
but I like them.  
Maybe we can get an expert to give us their opinion.
....hint hint Joyce?

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

OHHHH, I love grapefruit. I would love to candy some.

Mandy said...

..so what does one do with canned grapefruit???

also, I REALLY love the color of them in the jar!!

Maureen said...

Eat them?!?!

Seriously, I had never tried them before this little experiment but they are quite good. They hold up fairly well to the 'cooking' of the canning process. It'll be nice to have grapefruit all year long!

Jeano said...

Would you like some oranges? (or do I see some in the photo?)
We have oranges from our neighbor... a lot of them!

Julie said...

I'll give you my opinion if you want to send some to south MS! :)

Maureen said...

...tee hee...I'll send you some Julie if I can include a kitten (or 2) in the box!

And Jean, I'll call about the oranges (the answer is YES)

Julie said...

I would LOVE a kitten. However, the kitten and I would have to come live with you because the husband would kick me out! :)