Friday, August 21, 2009

Look What I Made!


Dill Pickles...sort of :)

I had the pickling cukes, I had the vinegar and the jars, I even had our own home-grown garlic. What I didn't have (and apparently needed) was dill seed. But I did have dill weed and an intense aversion to going to the grocery store for just one item.
After making pickles I googled the difference in the two items, which there is, and found out that they are not interchangable....oops!
Note to self: When you only live 1 mile from the market, go to the flippin store!

So...introducing Dill weed pickles!
Maybe I've invented a new taste treat (or maybe not).

6 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I don't think it matters, I'm sure they'll be just as tasty! At least you saved yourself some time and money by not going to the store.

Mandy said...

cant wait to hear how they taste:)

Maureen said...

...me too!

I'll let you both know when we open them and try them. I love the taste of dill weed so they can't be that bad :)

mamaraby said...

We put dill weed in our lacto-fermented pickles last year and they were still really tasty! I hope your experience with the vinegar ones turns out just as nice!

diane said...

I love love love all of your food processing over the last few weeks! I wish we were neighbors! We have so much information to share. I've been prepping and processing like a crazy lady myself - but have not been putting it on my blog. Maybe soon.

Thank you for your prayers - we are feeling them.

JoAnn said...

In my canning world we have always used dill weed and the heads of dill seed for pickles, especially cukes. They should be amazing if the brine is good. I also like to add to the jars 1 little dried red chile, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seed.