Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Great Big Pat on the Back


In a perfect world, everything we put into our mouths would be organically grown, whole grain and produced locally...all meat would be hormone free, free-range and humanely treated. I try my best to shop according to these criteria and over the years our eating habits have changed for the better. Tho it is not always possible to make healthy choices and kids do make the effort a bit more challenging (organic mac and cheese does not significantly lesson my aversion to white noodles and powdered cheese) we do our best. Because of our concerns over fuel use, my jaunts to Whole Foods are now relegated to side trips when we travel to Fresno for some other reason but we are still able to find a lot of organic and locally grown produce here in Central California and we take advantage of that fact.




So, I am tickled that some of my propensity for healthy, nutritious and chemical free foods has rubbed off on our oldest son. Living alone for the first time in his life, Brad is having to do all his own shopping and cooking. He doesn't go the fast food route, not much into sodas, and likes to shop at the college farmers market. When he was here this weekend (a quick overnight visit -can't leave his cat for more than one night) he even asked me where Whole Foods was located, thought he might stop on his way home. Beaming with pride (they actually listen) I gave him directions from his apt. to the store. How pleased we are to relate that he even writes about his experience at Americas premier organic supermarket on his blog. He describes himself as a kid in the candy store....parenting gone right? No, just a 21 year-old standing in front of the organic BEER aisle......we are so proud.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Well...the beer review was interesting and he's a Billy Idol fan. I think I like him! :)

Maureen said...

He is a good guy Julie....thanks. If you want to know a bit more about him, read the 'Our son Brad' post in the archives, it's the reason that every day with him is truly a gift from God.

Julie said...

That's a beautiful post, Maureen. The depth of your faith is inspiring. I've always wondered what people who don't have a church family do in crisis situations. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the post. :)

Maureen said...

You're welcome Julie, and thanks for taking the time to read it. For so long the accident was the defining moment in our lives...everything was relagated to being 'before Brads accident' or 'after the accident'. Now we hardly think about it (except when I read about some violent person's behavior being tied to an early brain injury....then I just pray harder!)

It's interesting tho, it truly wasn't MY faith, it was Gods hand. He gives you what you need when you need it. And I've wondered that myself, I can't imagine how I could've gotten thru our situation without our church and hometown 'family'. We were blessed to be a part of an amazing experience.