Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Kids these days


I have a 14 yr. old daughter …she watches (watched) Hannah Montana….she wanted to go to her concert (tho more for the Jonas brothers than for Miley aka Hannah) …she is aware of the racy Miley Cyrus photo controversy ….her quote of the day regarding the pics, “She’s an idiot”. My daughter is not one to mince words….trust me.

Why is it that whenever a young entertainer wants to ‘transition’ into adulthood, she (and it’s always a she here folks) feels that it's necessary to take her clothes off? Is that our idea of maturity? Act like an adult sweetie….strip! We need you to appeal to a wider demographic…take off some clothes! You would have thought that the Britney calamity would have taught us something.


Ms. Liebovitz, you should be ashamed of yourself. With your incredible talent, this is the best you could come up with? What risk was there in doing these? You could have done something different, given us a fresh new perspective on Miley but you settled for the same old garbage.

For her part, Ms. Liebovitz says she is sorry that the photo of Miley (wearing just a sheet) has been misinterpreted….obviously it was meant to portray the millions of starving and naked homeless people throughout the world….didn’t you notice the lack of make-up? How exactly were the uneducated masses supposed to ‘interpret’ a photo of a 15yr. old girl holding fabric to cover her bare breasts?



And here's a thought….shock and controversy don’t always equate with artistic and groundbreaking…sometimes the reaction you get from the peons out here..... actually means that there is something terribly wrong.



16 comments:

it wasn't me said...

I don't think Miley can pretend to be innocent. She sat and took the pictures. What, she didn't know how they'd turn out? What was her dad doing while they were being taken? Isn't that the kind of photos Liebovitz is famous for? They must have known what they were getting into. Vanity Fair isn't exactly Teen Beat.

Maureen said...

The parents ought to be ashamed of themselves also....I probably should have included that in my rant....and as far as Miley goes...that's what Annies comment was about. She said, "she did them, is she that stupid?"

And the one of Miley and her dad is just this side of icky.

it wasn't me said...

PS: I saw her perform on American Idol (I'm ashamed to admit I watched it - actually I changed the channel after a few seconds), and her choreography isn't exactly "innocent" either. Talk about icky.

it wasn't me said...

Actually I'm more ashamed I watch American Idol than anything else, but now that Biggest Loser is off, what's a person to do? You don't expect me to take up reading do you?

Maureen said...

I love American Idol! (so we're both losers:) Annie and I watch it together and root for our
favorites (right now hers is David Archuleta, mine is David Cook...and we both like Jason)

We TVo it tho, so we can skip thru the judges comments and commercials....and we did fast-forward thru Mileys performance....I frankly think she doesn't sing all that well and seems slightly manic, but I'm old, what do I know?

it wasn't me said...

Is Paula Abdul on dope or what?

Personally, I think all the best people have been voted off already.

Maureen said...

There is an hysterically funny article about this weeks show on MTV.com.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1586545/20080430/id_0.jhtml?loomia_si=t0:a16:g12:r2:c0.0869171

it wasn't me said...

That was hilarious. The best thing I've read ever about the show. It isn't even about talent anymore, it's completely about money.

And the Biggest Loser was not a reference to me (or you) for once. It was the TV show where people lost weight....for money.

Oh well, not much better, but still at least those people are healthier and it didn't involve Ryan Seacrest.

Maureen said...

I was making a joke....or rather attempting to make one:) I actually watched biggest loser a couple times, it was kind of funny and sad at the same time....

it wasn't me said...

Your humor is obviously too subtle for me. I'm retarded.
Still, it's hard for me to pass up a chance to knock Ryan Seacrest. And what is the deal with his hair?

it wasn't me said...

I should have said "mock" Ryan Seacrest. Poor Ryan.

And don't you think it shows a lack of concern for Paula, when clearly she should be in rehab?

Maureen said...

LOL...my boys all loved the Paula debacle (tho they didn't watch, just saw it on the news).... and OMG she needs to be home...she's becoming the poster child for aging Hollywood excess (note to Britney....this could be your future).

Deene Souza Photography said...

You have a lot of great point about the Miley scandal. The only other thing I would point out is that her parents knew what was going on. THey should be shot. And then Miley, if she is true to what she speaks, should have said "NO WAY, I'M PUTTING CLOTHES ON NOT JUST A SHEET" as well. All the way around, the whole thing was in poor taste and definitely not thought out.

it wasn't me said...

I think shooting her parents might send the wrong message.

Maureen said...

Lol...but what a message it would be!
I agree Deene, if my daughter was even ASKED to pose like that I would've known immediately that it wasn't appropriate....how long do you have to live in Hollywood before you become a blithering idiot when it comes to identifying sleaze.

Maureen said...

My apologies to the normal people who still live in Hollywood....I'm sure there are a few :)