Friday, April 8, 2011

We Bought our Thanksgiving Turkey Today

I love that I can go to the feed store for a couple more laying hens, come home with way too many, introduce our homestead to the prospect of raising our own turkeys and all my husband says is,
"I guess I better get to work on that second pen." What a guy!



I had no intention of buying turkey chicks today but I got curious when I saw them in the same box as the Buff Orpingtons. I started chatting with the clerk about raising turkeys and how different is was from chickens...apparently, not much. So we are now the proud owners (at least until November;) of two turkeys, one white and one brown...


...and in about 5 months, the new chickens will be adding to our daily egg totals. Next thing we want for our ever growing city farm is meat rabbits.....shhhhh, don't tell the neighbors.

4 comments:

Mike said...

When are you bringing home the cow??

diane said...

Awesome!

Maureen said...

Hey Mike, if it was legal, we'd have one.....maybe we'll just need to smuggle one in late at night. How noisy are cows?

...thanks Diane (now we just need a greenhouse:)

cabinart said...

Precious photos of true "peeps"!