Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Friends?


Maybe I really do need to find new friends. Took senior pics for my son and a friend’s son, no charge. I’m not a professional (yet) and I figured it would be good practice. Mom seemed very excited about it, came along for the shoot and they turned out pretty good (if I do say so myself). I worked on post-processing (for hours) and emailed them to Mom and she replied… “We love them all”. Over the next few weeks we talked a few times about which labs to use and about getting some wallets made to send with the graduation invite......You gotta send ‘em to plenty of people to really rake in the cash! ......Anyway, today she called me to let me know that they needed the CD (now) as they were going to Walmart (whole other post there- be patient) to have the wallets made. When I warned her about the differences in computer/printer calibration and that the colors might not end up the same as on the original, she told me…."it’s just the wallets, so it doesn’t really matter, we ordered the ‘real’ ones from Joe Smuck photography (not his real name) who takes for the yearbook. We figured those would be the ‘formal’ senior pictures."

Is it just me, or is that an incredibly callous way of telling me I’m a no talent hack? When I took the pics there was no mention of the possibility that they were gonna order from the geezer here in town. And just so you don’t think that I’m being arrogant here; we live in a small town and this guy took my husband’s senior picture (CRIMONY!). We actually have another local photographer who has a storefront on Main St. and who is incredibly talented. I am very respectful of her work and to be honest….intimidated by her stuff. But to LOSE to the gomer who’s pictures are the photographic equivalent of a powder blue tux !?!
That really hurts...

2 comments:

Nancy Winningham said...

Maybe you just need to lose some of the ones you have. Geez, how insulting. Well... consider the source. And you know what I think of "Joe's " photography

Maureen said...

..LOL...I guess I'm going to need thicker skin if I'm going to continue to pursue this whole photography 'career'. In the meantime, I need to spend more time with my 'sensitive' friends - see YOU tomorrow!