Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Peace



My friend Jean posted yesterday about the need to pray for our new president in the coming weeks, months...years. His will be an incredibly difficult job and frankly, even in good times, I don't know why anyone would want it. The thing that got me thinking was the concept of a 'peaceful transition'. Every four years we have all come to expect and accept the transition of power in this country. We really take for granted that we can be diametrically opposed to a politician but when the election is over...that's it. We acknowledge, we move on, we pray for our new leaders. No do-overs. You don't have to look far to see how incredibly rare that is. It's something about this country that I am truly proud of, and I think it's a good example to the world (and I don't say that very often folks).

And what about peaceful transitions in my own life? Those moments (days, months) where we are faced with changing circumstances, where our plans are thwarted, our dreams dashed, where disappointment seems to be the order of the day. Maybe if I dealt with Gods life transitions with as much acceptance as I do the changes in government, I'd be happier. Maybe I'd find my Joy if I didn't try to instigate a coup every time I was dissatisfied with the direction God was leading me.

My prayer for the coming year is wisdom for the President, safety for his family, selflessness for his advisers....and peace for us all.

6 comments:

3carnations said...

Very nice post. I didn't vote for President Obama, but I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope that he has a wonderful presidency. What people sometimes overlook is that it's in all our best interests for our politicians to succeed - Even if we disagree with them.

Maureen said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. I'm so tired of all the mean-spiritedness of the past year. We are in this together....whether we like it or not.

thanks for stopping by!

Jeano said...

I had never thought about the "peaceful transition" in terms of my life. Ouch! So (too) often I rebel about the direction in which God takes me. I don't relinquish control very readily. :(

Annie's Mom said...

Thanks for this!

Nancy Winningham said...

What is that verse about following God's will willingly or having to be led with a bit and bridle? I can't imagine that a bit would be anything I'd want in my mouth, but yet, I still try to do everything my way. What's up with that?

Steve said...

You've touched on one of the hard things in life. And why is it easy to move on for some things you don't have control of, and not others? We can move on about the country and the president, but not the county supervisors or the local school board. Especially not our family and ourselves.

Great post, may I sit at your feet?

Maureen's Stupid Ole Husband