Sunday, January 4, 2009

Replacement Item #1


And the winner of the 'what shall we replace first' in our pantry challenge...drum roll please....Golden Mushroom soup! This is the base for a wonderful chicken dinner that is a favorite at our house. I can't even remember the original name, but my kids call it Cheese Chicken....for reasons that shall become obvious when I post the recipe. I can't actually make the meal until Sam is done with his fast because it is his absolute favorite and that would just be cruel. But I can make the soup and have it ready to go.

I found a couple of yummy sounding Cream of Mushroom soup recipes on Epicurious and AllRecipes....but no Golden Mushroom. The list of the ingredients on the cans (scary by the way) comparing the two leads me to believe that simply adding tomato sauce to a homemade creamy mushroom soup will do the trick. And as long as I'm making the golden mushroom, I'll probably make a big batch of the mushroom soup and can half the jars sans tomato sauce....we use both these soups quite a bit. My first go at the challenge will be a 2-fer :)

I love to make soups, they are one of my favorite winter meals, but never really thought about making the cream soups that I use to cook with....it just seems ingrained to always have the Campbells on hand. It's a habit I intend to break.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Cream of Mushroom soup is a staple at our house. I might try making it if your recipe is easy! :)

Maureen said...

I'll keep you posted...